Parkdale Project Read is hiring!
Part-Time Community Literacy Worker and Admin Assistant
Terms: Part-time contract, mid-September to December 2019 @ 12 hours per week
Salary: $19.78 per hour
Parkdale Project Read (PPR) is an inclusive and culturally diverse community literacy program that provides access to learning from a social justice perspective by offering free literacy services in a supportive community. We work with English-speaking youth and adults to develop their reading, writing, basic math or computer skills. We are dedicated to creating a safe and accessible learning environment where everyone can bring their whole selves to learning.
We are looking for a candidate to support the facilitation of adult literacy groups as well as oversee some key office administration tasks, including: maintaining Excel spreadsheets, data entry and basic cash handling, direct mail campaigns and expense reporting. During their shifts, the candidate will be responsible for staffing the program on their own as needed – including opening or closing the space, facilitating the scheduled adult literacy learning group, as well as supporting learner-tutor pairs, and learners working independently.
- Work within a social justice/anti-oppression framework
- Facilitate adult literacy learning groups that meet learners’ needs
- Use digital media and other tools that enhance learning process
- Support learner-tutor pairs, and learners working independently
- Support problem solving/conflict resolution/group dynamics/de-escalation as needed
- Troubleshoot technical issues in the computer lab
- Answer walk-in/telephone inquiries, pass on messages
- Be responsible for opening or closing the program as needed
- Prepare and coordinate letter/fundraising appeal for annual direct mail drive
- Prepare charitable tax receipts and maintain Excel tracking sheet
- Support Collective staff with data entry, photocopying and tracking of revenue and expenses
- Coordinate annual online giving campaigns eg. Giving Tuesday
We are looking for a candidate with:
- Education and/or experience in Adult Education
- Experience in group facilitation and managing group dynamics
- Demonstrated commitment to working from a strong, critical anti-oppression and social justice framework
- Solid computer and technology skills, specifically in MS Excel, MS Word, Dropbox and social media; knowledge of Canada Helps is an asset
- Strong organizational skills and detail-oriented
- Cash Handling experience and comfort with basic expense sheets
- Experience working in drop-in centre, shelter, and/or other community program settings is an asset
- Interest in working in highly collaborative workplaces
Pay rate: $19.78/hour
Supervision: Staff Collective Team
Please submit your application (Resume and Cover Letter) to the Hiring Committee by email only and quote: Literacy Worker and Admin Assistant in the subject line
Deadine for applications is Friday August 16th, 2019
Parkdale Project Read is an equal opportunity employer and strongly encourages members of equity-seeking groups to apply.