We are excited to tell you about our program, literacy in Parkdale, and how you can get involved. We have organized our site so that you can browse by topic, for example, What’s New or Groups & Projects, or you can visit the audience page that best describes you – Learner, Volunteer or Supporter. If you are a frequent visitor, check out the What’s New section for updates on our events and groups.
- Annual Fundraising Appeal: Parkdale Project Read is about to engage in our annual fundraising drive. This fundraising campaign helps the program meet our increasing demand for transportation subsidies (TTC tokens and tickets), childcare funds, healthy snacks, learning materials and other program related supplies and costs. Drop by the program to make a donation, mail a cheque or donate online using CanadaHelps:
- Academic Upgrading Program with George Brown College: In partnership with George Brown College, we offer an Academic Upgrading Program that provides students with an opportunity to upgrade their Communications and Computer skills in a community setting. This program is geared to youth and younger adults and accepts students on a continual basis. Program hours are Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday from 9:30 a.m.-12:30 p.m. Call 416 531 6308 for more information or to register for an information session.
- Parkdale Project Read is always looking for volunteer literacy tutors. If you are interested in becoming a volunteer and would like more information, please visit our Volunteer page. Complete the tutor application form (click on the Volunteer link at the top of the page to download a copy) and give us a call at 416 531 6308 to arrange an interview.
- Thanks to our community corporate partner, Softchoice Corporation, we are pleased to share our latest marketing and outreach video: Parkdale Project Read . We would also like to acknowledge Softchoice Corporation for their generous contribution to our technology lab at the learning centre. Thank you for your ongoing support!!
- Take a look at our PSA (Public Service Announcement) on YouTube: Parkdale Project Read PSA
- Parkdale Project Read is excited to announce the launch of online tools for community literacy workers and students; A Reflection Guide on Community Based Literacy and a kit for students, Helping Myself Learn located at www.learningandviolence.net . Just click on the Changing Education box on the top right corner or on the words above. This research was made possible through a partnership with George Brown College and generous funding from the Office of Literacy and Essential Skills Canada (OLES).
What’s been going on at PPR
- Literacy Through Hip Hop – We are excited to announce our collaborative effort with “Literacy Through Hip Hop” which delivers literacy programming using hip hop culture to youth across the Greater Toronto Area. Visit for more information, visit the LTHH website.
- Research on Learning and Violence – Please visit the website learningandviolence.net for more information about ongoing research, initiatives and information about the impact of violence on learning.
This Employment Ontario program is funded by the Ontario government.